What is Domain ?
A domain name is an internet address.
A domain name allows people to identify and to find your internet site.
Strictly speaking a domain name is not an IP, in the sense that there is no law that confers on a domain name the status of being “property” capable of being owned.
Benefits of Registration of a Domain A domain name has a number of components.
For example, this domain name: www.address.com.cn
has the following components：
- "www" indicates it is a worldwide web address
- "address" is the domain name that you register
- "com" indicates the category of domain name you have registered, and is called a top level domain name
- "cn" indicates the country of origin (also known as a country code top-level domain),namely Mainland China in this example.
Other top level domain names include:
- "biz" indicates a business
- 'edu" indicates an educational institution
- "gov" indicates a government department
- "org" indicates a non-profit organization
In Hong Kong it is not unusual for a domain name to be registered without any top level domain name. In that case, the domain name could be registered as: www.address.hk
It is not necessary for every domain name to indicate the country of origin. Domain names that originate in the United States do not have a country of origin component in the domain name.
The following domain name for example does not show a country of origin: www.address.com
Anyone can register a domain name without a country of origin, not just applicants in the United States.